Firstly, remember to use your vision during conversation:
1. There are important cues received from looking at facial expression, lip movement and gestures.
2. Wear your glasses or contacts.
3. Turn on the lights and open the shades.
4. Face one another.
5. Pick a good seat in group listening situations.
6. Try to view the speaker face on, not at an angle.
Secondly, reduce background noise when possible:
1. Turn off noise sources (especially the television!)
2. Go to quiet restaurants.
3. Request a quiet table at the restaurant.
4. Walk away from the washing machine, dryer, dishwasher that is in use.
5. Turn off the car radio and close the car windows.